The scientific sessions will take place in the Auditorium Maximum - Entrance 22 of the Veterinary Faculty, Salisburylaan 133, 9820 Merelbeke-Gent.
You should book your hotel by contacting the hotel directly or using the booking agency of your choice. We recommend some hotels that are in downtown Ghent and close to the Merelbeke Campus.
Hotels close to Ghent Zuid - Public buses leave from Ghent Zuid to the Merelbeke Campus every 20 minutes.
Hotel IBIS Ghent Centrum St Baafs Cathedral - 5 min. walk to ESER bus location
Special discount rates are available for ESER participants: €94/day for a single room and €112/day for a double/twin room, including breakfast and city tax. Cancellation is possible until 2 days before arrival. For booking, send an email to Ibis Gent Kathedraal - Sveinhildur Torfadottir at H0961email@example.com. Discount code: ESER 2022
- Hotel NH Ghent Belfort - 12 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Hotel Novotel Ghent Centrum - 13 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Hotel Gravensteen - 20 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Ghent Marriott Hotel - 20 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Hotel IBIS Ghent Centrum Opera - 10 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Hotel Onderbergen - 15 min. walk to ESER bus location
- Hotel Flandria Centrum - 13 min. walk to ESER bus location
Hotels close to the Campus in Merelbeke - Car needed to travel between hotel and Campus.
Bus Shuttle - City Center and Campus
A special ESER bus will pick up ESER participants at a central point in downtown Ghent. The bus does not stop at individual hotels. The pick-up location to take the bus from the city center to campus is the Sint Jacobskerk (Saint Jacob’s church) in downtown Ghent. You do not need a bus pass to take the bus on Thursday morning. Bus passes for the duration of the meeting can be purchased at the registration desk (€16 for both days) upon your arrival at the meeting. On Thursday morning the bus will be waiting at 7:30 and will be leaving at 7:45 sharp.
Ghent has several large underground parking garages at close proximity to nearby hotels where you can leave your car for several days. Check with your hotel, but customer parking is rare in Ghent. Parking at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at Ghent University is available and it is free day and night.
Brussels International Airport (Zaventem) is the main airport. There are trains to Ghent leaving from the train station situated in the lower level of the airport (you may need to change trains in Brussel Midi/Zuid to Ghent St Pieters). Travelling from the airport to Ghent takes between 30-45 min. Some of the low-cost airlines also land in Brussels International Airport (Zaventem). The alternate airport is Brussels Charleroi. This is the low-cost carrier airport. There are special shuttle bus lines (private carriers) bringing you directly from Charleroi Airport to Ghent St Pieters Station. The journey from Charleroi Airport to Ghent St Pieters will take about 2 hours. For more information, see the Useful Links section below.
Ghent is one of the most beautiful cities in Belgium (view photos, view a short video). There are many historical buildings and museums to visit; the Graslei which is considered the heart of Ghent; plenty of good restaurants, shops and fine hotels and lots of well provided bars where you can taste over 200 regional beers. In short, it is the perfect place to relax after two days of intense learning at the ESER Symposium. For more information, take a look at these images.
The meeting will take place on the Veterinary Campus Merelbeke of the University of Ghent, 15 minutes away from the center of Ghent.
- Ghent: Must See, Public Transportation, Events - visit.gent.be/en/home
- Ghent Overnight Stay, or what to do in Ghent - visit.gent.be/en/overnight-stay
- Shuttle bus service from Charleroi International Airport (Ryanair and other low-cost carriers) to Ghent Central Station - flibco.com
- Train schedule between Brussels International Airport (Zaventem) and Ghent - belgiantrain.be